A Conversation with Ohio Horror Host, SON OF GHOUL!

TERROR FROM BEYOND THE DAVES wishes to thank The Bone Jangler for sharing his candid interview with Son of Ghoul.

The Bone Jangler:  You were about 7 years old when you first saw Ernie Anderson as Ghoulardi on Cleveland CBS affiliate WJW-TV. You caught the show pretty much right off the bat. What was your reaction to Ghoulardi?

Son of Ghoul: Mostly I was blown away at this crazy looking guy who was really funny and did wild things. That was interesting TV viewing for a 7 year old.


 TBJ: Did it seem like all of the kids at school had seen him that early on, too? Were they all talking about it at school on Monday mornings?

SOG: The kids who were allowed to stay up and watch TV saw him and talked about him at school for sure.  Remember, there were only 3 television stations to choose from in those days, so most people in northeast Ohio who had the television on at that time of day, watched Ghoulardi.

TBJ: Prior to this, had you seen many Horror movies, or, was Ghoulardi’s show where you had most of your exposure to these films?

SOG: For me, discovering horror movies, monster models, books like “Famous Monsters of Filmland,” Ghoulardi ,and The Beatles all happened about the same time.  Each went hand in hand.

TBJ: Chuck Schodowski was a technician on the Ghoulardi show, and brought in all of the cool music used on the show, as well as added the sound inserts into the movies, in addition to appearing in skits. Were you a big fan of the music on the Ghoulardi show?

SOG:  The music used on the Ghoulardi show was alot of fun songs of the time or cool jazzy/blues tunes and some early 60’s rock that really completed the feel of the show.  For some reason, these tunes just stuck in your head.

TBJ: Eventually, Ernie left Cleveland for Hollywood, and Big Chuck and Hoolihan carried on in his absence. What was your reaction to Ghoulardi leaving the airwaves, and, did you continue watching the show as regularly after Big Chuck and Hoolihan took over?
SOG:  I was only 10 or 11 years old when Ghoulardi left and I didn’t really know at the time why he was gone.   Sure, as I did, most everybody in N.E. Ohio continued to watch Big Chuck & Hoolihan.  We only had 3 channels to choose from in the mid sixties, so the chances of not seeing the show was real slim.

Big Chuck & Lil’ John

TBJ: Someone who was a part of both the Ghoulardi show, and “The Hoolihan & Big Chuck Show,” and would eventually play a big part in your life, was a guy by the name of Ron Sweed. In 1971, with the blessing of Ernie Anderson himself, Ron became The Ghoul, and began hosting Horror/Sci-Fi movies on Kaiser Broadcasting station WKBF. Did you watch this show from the beginning? How soon did you discover this show, and what was your initial reaction to the show, and The Ghoul character? Did you think it was cool, or were you kind of miffed, that, here’s this guy trying to ape Ghoulardi?

SOG:  By this time, Ohio had added a few UHF stations. I didn’t see Sweeds first show, but I remember a friend of mine told me that over the weekend he viewed a new Ghoulardi hosting some sort of “battle of the bands” tv show. Now I’m not sure about this, but The Ghoul may have hosted this special tv show a week or so before his regular movie show started on ch 61, but you would have to ask him about that to get the facts right. I tuned in to check this guy out as soon as I knew about it, maybe by the second or third week of the show. The Ghoul was young, wild and dressed and acted like Ghoulardi, so to a 15 year old, I was hooked.


TBJ: Were you aware that Ron Sweed had been a production assistant (i.e. lackey) of Ernie’s during the Ghoulardi days, that he had actually been a part of the Ghoulardi lineage?
SOG:  Yes, I think Sweed always let everyone know about that over the air.

TBJ: Did you ever write fan letters, or send in models for The Ghoul to blow up on his show?

 SOG:  I sent in for a autographed photo card but I never wrote any fan letters or sent anything in.  

TBJ: Eventually, you and The Ghoul met (several times). What was the first time? Where was it? When was this? And, what was that like?
SOG: The first time I got to meet him was in 1973, three friends and myself drove to ch 61 went to the front desk and ask to see The Ghoul.  A station employee brought us to a mail room where we got to meet Sweed out of costume. He was sorting through mail for that weeks show and then Sweed gave us a quick tour of his set in the studio. He was real nice to us. Another time, I drew a giant poster size “Santa Ghoul” image and drove it to the station and just left it at the front desk. He did use that poster on the air on his Christmas show in the 70’s and much to my surprise, when he returned to the air in the 80’s, he had kept my poster and it again showed up his Christmas show.

TBJ: Later, you wound up working as a technician at WOAC in Canton, Ohio. Had you taken any sort of classes, or had any formal training, to become a technician, or, was it just something that came naturally to you, having been in bands, etc.?

 SOG:  When my school band life came to an end I quickly joined the AV club at school. Since I was in grade school,  I collected 8mm movies. Being in the AV club at School now allowed me to learn and run 16mm sound projectors and the early 1 inch B&W video tape recorders. When I got out of school I landed a full time job as a 16mm film inspector at Audio Brandon Films, a 16mm film rental company that serviced schools, colleges, churches ect. with features and shorts. This was way before any home video tape rental places was available to the public.

The library that I worked at had over 1.000 16mm sound features and a giant collection of classic short subjects and most of the Warner Bros. Cartoon collection. As home video tape became the new cost effective thing, the 16mm rental library closed its doors and went out of business. I loved that job and would have still been there to this day. I still collect 16mm sound movies as a hobbie. I had to become a quick learner to become any kind of technician to work in television.

TBJ: You worked as a technician on “Thriller Theater,” starring Horror Host The Cool Ghoul (aka George Cavender), eventually performing in skits on the show. How cool was that, and, how cool was The Cool Ghoul?

SOG:  George was a real nice guy who has alot of talent. I really wasn’t a technician or even a regular crew member on his show. He invited me to just 1 taping and I kinda gangstered my way into helping out and being in some of his bits by being bold enough to keep showing up every week. After a few months of hanging around WOAC TV 67, I finally landed a full time position as a station board operator running programs and commercials live over the air. I then advanced to Film Director. The last days of being able to slide in the back door of a tv station and land a job without a college education.  Unheard of now in real broadcasting.

George Cavendar – The Cool Ghoul!

TBJ: When George Cavender left WOAC, you auditioned as a replacement. Why did George leave? Was it all his decision, or did he have some “help” from the station?  Hadn’t he been on the air for some time prior to that?

SOG:  George decided to leave the station and re-locate to another city. It was his decision.   George was first on WJAN TV 17 as “The Cool Ghoul” in 1971 and beat Sweed’s debut as The Ghoul by two weeks. Because of WJAN’s power limits, no one in Cleveland could pick up the signal.  That run lasted a year or so. WJAN was then sold to PTL.

 TBJ: The way that you originally became involved with The Cool Ghoul, and WOAC, that sort of thing just doesn’t happen anymore. So, anyway, The Cool Ghoul’s out, and they do a whole “In Search Of… ” kind of show, and, at the end, you show up as The Son Of Ghoul. How refined was your look at that point? No cape, right? 

 SOG:  Because I was already hired as a board operator at WOAC, I helped out with the “In Search Of” show and I appeared  without any SOG makeup in one bit. During that week while editing that show, it was decided that I would take over the following week which gave us enough time to shoot a quick ending with me as SOG for a few seconds only without glasses and no cape. At first I thought SOG would be without any glasses or hat at all,  just like Ghoulardi looked when he first came on. But, I then quickly decided to add the top hat then the round Lennon glasses. My first show was shot without the cape. The cape  was added by show #2.

TBJ: How was that first taping? You kind of got off to a bad start that day, didn’t you?  

SOG:  The station decided to let me pick and use my own crew which consisted of some of my old personal friends I hung with. I’m sure this was their way to save a lot of cash by not having to pay station employees to run cameras or work audio, although they did give me a hourly paid director which was a station employee. For the first two shows the station wanted my crew to be all station employees just to make sure everything went ok and they wanted me to shoot at 10 A.M. on Tuesdays. I talked the station into letting me at least use my good friend Vince Scarpitti on audio for those first two shows.  My own crew took over by the third week and we moved the tape time to Thursdays at 7 P.M. The night before taping my first show, I was at home working on props and getting my SOG costume together. I was excited and could not sleep. It got to be about 5:30 A.M. and I decided to lay down and try to rest for a couple of hours.

The next thing I remember was my phone ringing. It was my friend Vince calling from the station. I said “hello”, Vince said in a panic voice, “Kev- It’s ten till ten” I jumped up, freaking out because I overslept.  I got dressed and drove to the station without a shower, a shave or anything. I was one hour late for my first taping, not a good thing.

When I arrived at the station, the operations manager looked at me and said, “Keven, your not getting off to a very good start!”. The show was quickly taped and when it was over, the stations general manager walked in the studio. I was cleaning up my props, he picked up the intercom and called all station employees to come for a meeting in the studio. When they arrived he said, “As you all know, Keven is our new horror host and right now we are going to preview the show”.

I had to sit there while everybody viewed the show. They all liked it and gave me a standing ovation. I was shocked, because I thought (and still do) that the show wasn’t very good.

TBJ: Your first movie you hosted was “The Gong Show Movie.” Not exactly your choice, right?

SOG:  “The Gong Show Movie” just happened to be on the schedule for that week and was not my choice. I did not pick the movies for the WOAC show. The station bought movie packages consisting of all kinds of titles, some were horror films. Each movie had a number of runs so they stuck some in the afternoon, some in prime time and some for me.

TBJ: Most every Horror Host I’ve discussed the subject with seems to dislike their first few shows. How about you?

SOG:   I thought my first shows weren’t very good, I was stiff and undeveloped.

 TBJ: About how long would you say it took you to really begin to hone the SOG character?

SOG:   It took a couple of years before I really started to hone into the SOG character I am now.

TBJ: So, at WOAC, you never got to pick which movies you hosted, and, instead, had to host movies that the station had bought the rights to air. What was the weirdest, most off-genre movie you hosted on there?

SOG:  “The Gong Show Movie” because it was the only non-horror movie WOAC ever scheduled in my time slot. One week my show had to be cut to only 30 min. due to a sports program we knew that would run into my timeslot, so I ran a Three Stooges short, which I thought was way better than most of the movies they had to choose from.

TBJ: If someone were to have asked you, back in 1986, “How long do you think this gig will last?,” what would you have said?

SOG: My first contract with WOAC was for 13 weeks and I really didn’t think the show would last any longer than that.

TBJ: The origin of your name; The Son Of Ghoul… For those who may not know the story, who exactly was it that named you?

SOG: Back in early 80’s Ron Sweed (The Ghoul) held a “Ghoul look-alike contest” for a few weeks at the Cleveland Agora which was a popular nightclub. The contest was judged each week by the audience. The grand prize was to get to appear in costume on his show. During those weeks of the contest he would introduce each contestant by name. When he came to me, he would introduce me as “Son Of Ghoul”. Ron knew who I was and had seen my “Ghoulardi-Ghoul” costume at least 4 times over the years starting way back in the 70’s.  He was real friendly back then and invited me to come in costume to some of his appearances and once invited me to come and just hang out during an all night Ghoul radio program he had on the air at the time. I have 8mm silent and super 8mm sound footage of us together with me in my costume pre-look-alike contest.

TBJ: About how long into the WOAC run were you when you received communication from The Ghoul camp, what was it, and what was your reaction?

SOG: About one year and a half after my show began, I received a phone call one afternoon during my regular work at the station. It was a newspaper reporter from The Akron Beacon Journal asking me if I had any comment on the lawsuit filed today against me and WOAC by Ron Sweed.  I was quite shocked to say the least. I ask the reporter to hold and ran to my station general managers office and turned the phone call over to him. We had no comment and then turned over any further contact to our lawyers. They told me to say nothing and they handled it from there on. About a week later, one afternoon,  the station operations manager came back to my office and told me to stay there and not to go up to the front office for awhile because Ron Sweed and his lawyer was at the front desk demanding to see video tapes of my show. They were denied and told to leave the property which they did.  The next time I saw Ron was almost a year later in the courtroom.

TBJ: So, with Ron “The Ghoul” Sweed taking legal action against you, were you at all worried about the outcome? I mean, being sued is stressful, regardless of one’s innocence.

SOG:  Sure, it was a new experience for me.
 TBJ: Who represented you in the case?

SOG:  I had two attorneys, one represented me, the other represented the tv station.

TBJ: When the judge handed down the decision, what was Ron Sweed’s reaction in the courtroom?

SOG:  Neither of us were present in the court room when the judge handed down the decision.

TBJ: The Ghoul wouldn’t return to NE Ohio TV airwaves for, like, a decade. Did you ever hear from him in that time?

SOG:  No, he made no contact with me.

TBJ: You ended up having a nearly decade long run at WOAC.  This lead to you being involved in parades, live shows, telethons, meeting Rock legends, and the usual stuff associated with being on a commercial broadcast station. How much of it was fun, and how much of it was work? What were some of the most memorable gigs/moments associated with being on WOAC?
SOG: In those days for me it was just the pure excitement of broadcasting. Being a part of the MDA Telethon for 9 years was great and my first experances of being on live tv.  Because I worked at a broadcast tv station, It opened the door for me to meet and have some of my favorite rock legends like Paul McCartney and Stevie Ray Vaughan on the show just to name a few. It was great fun but at the same time, I was at work and had to keep it together and do what I had to do to get the job done on either a live shoot, live broadcast or a SOG appearance.

TBJ: WOAC is also where we saw the debut of many memorable characters, and skits, like Fatman and Rotten. Where did you meet Brett?

SOG:  We were always trying to come up with new bits for the show. Some ideas worked better than others so bits like Fatman & Rotten had many episodes. Brett Koren who was just a fan, showed up at the station one day to watch us tape a show. He was such nice person and had alot of intrest in my show. I ended up letting him be a SOG crew member running cameras and being an on air bit player. His best appearances on the show was in bits as Fatman’s sidekick “Rotten” or as “Burnouts adult friend”.

TBJ: What were your favorite characters/bits from the WOAC days?

SOG: It’s hard to pick there were so many like “Mr Banjo”, ‘Fatman”, “Pyscho Motto”, “Zerro”, “Barfaby”, “Woodstiff The Woodsman”, “Fritz The Toybreaker”.  all of these characters were takeoffs of Cleveland kid hosts or tv shows I watched in the 1960’s.

TBJ: Overall, what was the atmosphere at WOAC? Did everyone seem to appreciate your talents?

SOG: WOAC treated me great if they needed me for anything but at the same time they didn’t pat you on the back  to much in fear of asking for an increase in my pay which didn’t happen too often. Although they did pay for an all experience week long vacation to Club Med in the Bahamas for me and my girlfriend.
TBJ: Eventually, WOAC decided to become a home shopping network. What ran through your mind, as you knew that “the end” (of WOAC) was approaching?
SOG: I thought it was the end of the road for the show. Then, I find out that this cat associated with my show named Cowboy Bob had called Akron station The CAT, and had offered them my show. I didn’t like that he’d tried to represent me, so, I called them up, they made me an offer, and that was that. My contract at WOAC stated that I had to have 5 weeks notice before they could let me go. I took advantage of that time, and actually did a lot of the work on my first show for The CAT while I was still at WOAC.

TBJ: So, moving over to The CAT, and staying on the air, without missing a week, turned out to be easy. Yet, everything changed, didn’t it? Everything became more difficult, right?
SOG: Yes, Everything changed, on the plus was the fact that I now had more freedom in what I said or did on the air plus the show was now on prime-time 2 nights a week. The minus side was that WAOH TV 29 did not have the room to house my set so I had to find elsewhere to shoot.  Talon Media, a very small studio that was located in Massillon, Ohio is where I landed. That was a nightmare for me because now almost everything I was use to production wise, was not available at this new studio but that’s all I could afford so I learned to work around it. We did manage to pull off some cool stuff at Talon. But to save my ass, I had to switch production houses because the two guys that owened Talon, split up partnership and I had no choice but to go where the editing gear went.  That was another nightmare in itself, but to make a long story short, I then moved some of the production back to Talon but by then I had bought all the editing gear and slowly started to take over and move the entire production to my own locations but this took a number of years to get together. Part of my set is now at the Seich Compound Studio the other part is at my home studio.
TBJ: Your crew changed up, right?   

 SOG:  Well I downsized the crew a bit. Brett Koren and John Stone stayed on for some time at Talon and John stayed on throughout the studio changes. Dan Toomey and Joe Cole came aboard as crew members. Dan Toomey has provided me with special editing gear and tech support to help keep the production going.

TBJ: Of course, before too long, you met a lil’ guy by the name of Ron Huffman, aka Fidge. When, and where, did you first meet him, and how did he end up on the show?

SOG: Fidge knew one of the owners of Talon Media and asked if he could drop by for a SOG taping.  I used him in the bit we were doing that night and he was such a nice guy and good sport, he started showing up week after week and then became a regular on the show.

TBJ: As time went on, a name from the past resurfaced on Cleveland’s FOX affiliate WNBX 55; The Ghoul. What did you make of his return to the airwaves?
SOG: I thought ahh..good, let everybody see both shows, then tell me what you think!

TBJ: That was a really interesting time, and, before long, it sort of seemed like there was a ping pong match going on between the 2 shows. The Ghoul, in particular, seemed to react, in a number of ways, to what you were doing. What can you tell us about this period in time?

SOG:  I’ve been told by his own crew members that they viewed my show every week and that I caused many angered and stressed moments in that camp. If I did a bit about being at the doctor one week, the next week he would show a doctor bit of his own. They even tried to step up the sound effects in their movies to try and outdo what I was doing in mine. Plus all the on air rants about? ..well, I don’t think anybody could figure out what he was saying. All I know is that his show was un-funny, the production value was crap and it had no effect on me or my show at all. To prove a point, I’m still on the air!

TBJ: After a certain point, The Ghoul’s time-slot kept moving about, getting shuffled to less, and less, favorable time-slots. Also, there started to be a kind of exodus over there, with many of his crew, etc., leaving his ranks, and migrating to your show. How did all of that come about?     

 SOG: Well, for one example; Jungle Bob and myself was booked for an appearance at the same venue at the same time.  We had no problems with each other and we became good friends.  Jungle Bob appears on many Cleveland television shows so I ask him to appear on my show and then he just became a regular on the show.  It wasn’t a planned thing, it just happened.

TBJ: “The Son Of Ghoul’s House Of Fun And Games” debuted in August of 2000, during the “Who Wants To Be A Millionaire?” craze. The show was actually The station’s idea, wasn’t it? Could you tell our readers about the formation of the show, and the format?

SOG: The Station allready had a past history with the gameshow format. Some time ago they had a live program on called “The Bingo Movie” or something like that. At first there idea was to have a 5 night a week live game show with me as host. But soon they realized that one night a week worked better so we ended up with a 2 hour live gameshow every Wednesday night at 8 P.M. the show ran for 3 years. The format was, we would get 4 callers on the phones with there live audio over the air with me. Fidge was the score keeper.  First I would BS with each contestant a bit and then ask each a series of trivia questions. Each correct answer would score points and the person with the highest score was the winner. Some of the prizes were dinners for two or a pair of tickets to an Indians or Browns game and sometimes only a roll of toilet paper was the prize. We made it a game of chance, the prizes were placed in black bags that were numbered 1 thru 10. We had a large number wheel we spun for each winner at the end of each game and what ever number it landed on the winner got that numbered black bag. Between games and while we gathered up 4 new players on the phones they ran SOG bits and commercials.

TBJ: I always felt like that show was the idiot’s version of Regis’ show. You’d ask a question like, “The Fab Four consisted of John, Paul, George, and who?” Somebody on the phone, a contestant, would be, like, “Uh… ” It was on the game show where Fidge really, truly, became a full fledged sidekick, and a “star” in his own right, don’t you agree?
SOG:  Yes Fidge became a show favorite and loved by the viewers. After all it was a solid two hours of his face or mine plastered over the tv screen each week on the gameshow. Then followed by 2 more nights of my movie show.  We had 6 hours of air time each week for years.

TBJ: The game show proved to be pretty popular, and led to your stage show at Six Flags in Aurora, Ohio. What are your memories of those gigs?
SOG:The Six Flags SOG Stage Shows was great fun, I was booked to do three 35 minute shows per day for 17 nights that October for the Halloween season. We played to standing room only almost every performance and the shows went over great with the crowds.  It was a fantastic experience for for Fidge, my crew and myself, not to mention a hefty payday.

TBJ: It was at those shows, and, the Frightvision convention, where Fidge finally realized how popular he was, how much he was loved by your viewers. Did that warm your heart, seeing him have that epiphany?

SOG: Yes, I was pleased to see that Fidge did get the chance to see and feel the love of the fans and viewers.  He was surprised that so many people loved him.  It was a good thing for him to know because his home life had been such a horrible situation for years.

TBJ: By this time, everything’s going pretty damn good for The Son Of Ghoul, and, you’ve got your Abbott And Costello vibe going, with you as the straight man to Fidge’s clown character, and, then, something terrible happens. Now, obviously, by this point in time, Nocturna & I had known you quite well for about 3 years. So, I know what went down, but, could you tell our readers what happened?

SOG: I didn’t hang out with Fidge after work hours at all. I was at home on a Monday afternoon and got a phone call from one of Fidges friends and was told that he had passed away. I was shocked to say the least. Fidge hung out alot at a local bar, he was friends with the owner and helped out with bartending and clean up at times.  It was a Sunday and the bar was closed to the public but the owner, Fidge and a couple of girls were in the bar partying. Because of his size, it didn’t take much to get Fidge drunk. I was told that the people he was with gave him 9 doubles of 151 Rum then as his buzz increased he was asking for water or soda but was given more liquor.  Fidge went to the rear of the bar layed down and passed out. Then his so called friends decided as a joke to take magic markers and color and write things all over his body so when he woke up he would be all colored and marked up.  One of the things they wrote on his chest was D.O.A. They all finished marking up passed out Fidge and returned to the private party in the front of the bar.   Fidge never woke up. Nobody went to jail, nothing. The bar owner was a former cop.  It was swept under the carpet like nothing ever happened. Sad, very sad. Cleveland TV news did do a couple stories that aired about Fidge’s passing. I was interviewed and provided footage for those news segments.

TBJ: Before long, you, again, cross paths with The Ghoul, this time on purpose, right?

SOG: Yes, we were both booked to appear at The Parma Animal Shelter.  I think it was really arranged by each of our crews to happen. I think they wanted it to happen more than we did.

TBJ: I have a lot of footage from that meeting, and, I thought it was really cool to see you two, sitting at a picnic table, talking, etc. However, the thing that sticks out most in my mind is that scene where he sees you, and your crew, and he’s standing there, looking scared, and holding his arms out to his sides, like he’s saying to his guys, “Stand back! Let’s just take this slow, and easy. Be careful, men.”

SOG: I guess it was kinda like a tense moment where everybody was holding there breath to see what was going to happen. Nothing did, we talked for a bit and shook hands as our crews freaked out.

TBJ: As cool as that was, did you, for one second, think that some kind of lasting truce would take place? Did you think that there was a remote chance that you guys might do some kind of crossover on the air?

SOG: No, I knew nothing would become of this meeting and at this point as I said before, he has had no effect on my station, myself or my show. I would have refused any ideas of teaming up. I’m not that crazy.

TBJ: All of this time you’d been on the air at this point, you felt like you weren’t accepted by your fellow NE Ohio Horror Host peers (i. e. Big Chuck And Lil’ John). Every time the subject came up, even remotely, you’d say that you were “the interloper,” that, in their eyes, it was as if you didn’t truly belong. Eventually, though, that changed, didn’t it?
SOG: They were all told lies and stories about how much of a bad person and a troublemaker I was.  It all started to change when Big Chuck & Lil’ John and myself was booked to host a Halloween Party in Akron. The party went over great and Chuck & John saw that I was no trouble at all to work with. Now it has done a 180, and I have been a regular now for years at the Ghoulardifest.  I do appearances with most of my Cleveland TV piers at conventions or parades without any hassles or problems.  We are now mostly friends and they all treat me great.

TBJ: In the old days, as far as you knew, there was only Ghoulardi, Hoolihan, Big Chuck, Lil’ John, The Ghoul, and The Cool Ghoul, right? And, then, by the early 80s, Elvira. But, you didn’t really know of the existence of all of the guys, for the most part, right?

SOG: No, I had no idea there were other hosts on across the country ’til the mid 90’s when people started to send me video tapes.

TBJ: Of course, later on, through the years, you learned of the other guys, people like the original Svengoolie, etc. And, then, about the turn of the century, there was a resurgence of Horror Hosts, people like myself, for example. Many of us met doing convention appearances, and such, and developed a certain camaraderie. Most of us had to take our shows to cable access stations, but, we’re on TV. Now, in the last few years, there’s been an incredible boom (of Horror Hosts, or “Horror Hosts”), due to things like YouTube, and the Internet.

 What’s your take on guys like, say, Count Gore De Vol, the late Dr. Creep, the original Svengoolie, Rich Koz’s (Son Of) Svengoolie, etc.?

SOG: Gore, Creep, Svengoolie & Zack are real Horror Hosts that I have a lot of respect for.

TBJ: Knowing that you don’t really get to see much of the rest of us, you’ve, nonetheless, had exposure to many Hosts’ work, and, even more exposure to this latest crop of Internet Hosts. Are there any that you particularly like, or can, at least, appreciate?

SOG: I haven’t seen a lot of hosts stuff.  Although, I do have a few favorites, most I can’t watch for 2 minutes because they just plain suck. A lot of unfunny crap out there.

TBJ: Do you think that most of these newest Hosts will have staying power?

SOG: No, most of these internet or access hosts will fade away because there is no cash flow.  Bottom line is that it takes a TV station, money and sponsors and talent to produce a real television program.  It also takes a lot of real viewers not just a small group of friends that tune in on the net because they have nothing better to do.  Do I sound a bit harsh?  Sorry.


One thought on “A Conversation with Ohio Horror Host, SON OF GHOUL!

  1. There’s a lot more to that story about that ex cop and his buddy R. Pittman (who co-owned the bar) getting away with not just murder but rapes etc. They were two of the biggest scumbags in the city of Massillon at the time. I worked for the ones scumbag at a bar called bullwinkles. I remember the two of them forcing a girl to give them oral sex in a limousine one Halloween. I remember she came into the bar and told me that the two of them told her it’s Halloween time for you to Bob for apples. That was my last night working there. Happy to let you know that one of the scumbags involved with killing Ron was the DJ at that bar (T.gardner )and he died an early death. He was another piece of s**t. .I was friends with Ron when we were kids and he was a great dude.

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.